- To be the primary spokesperson and representative on matters relating to students’ academic experience and employability.
- To work with the University, and other bodies as appropriate, to ensure that the student voice is heard in the development of academic policy and practice at all levels of decision-making.
- To promote active student engagement by members in their own learning and teaching experience and to encourage members to engage with appropriate support services.
- To campaign to improve the quality of the academic experience and for policies and facilities that support and enhance members’ academic experience.
- To campaign to ensure that University programmes of study develop skills and knowledge that are responsive to the needs of the graduate employment market and that support services offer appropriate opportunities for students to improve their employability.
- To enhance student representatives’ effectiveness through regular communications, publications and through involvement in training events.
- To convene Programme Representatives’ Forums at the three Edinburgh campuses and take forward business from these to the ENSA 50 and other forums; and to assume special responsibility for the representation and support of TNE and Global Online students
Shared Responsibilities of Co-Presidents:
- To be a co-equal Director of the Corporate Trustee and to play a full part in its business and in the strategic development of the Association.
- To act collectively as the democratic leadership of the student body at Edinburgh Napier University and on behalf of the Association’s members to improve the student experience.
- To convene the Association’s Forums and ad hoc student groups and support the work of the ENSA 50.
- To develop student-facing policy portfolios.
- To lead and support representations and campaigns on behalf of the Association’s membership to raise awareness and win improvements on its behalf.
- Regularly and actively to engage with students in person, and via the Association’s social media and other communication channels to keep them updated about the Association and its work and to seek their views.
- To support the Association’s events, including training, campaigns and Freshers Week.
- To attend and participate in a range of working groups, committee meetings, and forums in a representative capacity to advance the interests of the membership.
- To deliver on manifestos.
- To participate in the work of the University and with external associations and agencies where this is consistent with the strategic aims of the Corporate Trustee; is within the Charitable Objects of the Association; and is in accordance with the policy portfolios.
- To undertake the specific roles assigned to their Presidential/ Co-Presidential post.
This post is full-time (for a 1 year term) and require those elected to either take a year out of their studies or to take up their role immediately following graduation.
What is it like working for ENSA as a Co-President?
Matthew Akinpelu, who was our Co-President Education & Employability in session 2021/22, talks about his experience in the role:
Full-time officers are:
- employees of ENSA and subject to general workplace rules.
- representatives of, and advocates for, the students in general, trying to improve the student experience.
- trustees of ENSA as a charity, making sure it is properly run and is best able to meet its objectives for the students.
Term of office:
1 year, from 1st July 2023 to 30th June 2024 (with a 2 week training and handover period from mid-June 2023).
All ENSA staff are currently working from home, however, these positions are normally based at Merchiston Campus, with the expectation that Officers will spend a lot of time out and about on all 3 campuses.
Hours of Work:
36.25 hours a week / 7 ¼ hours per day. There’s occasionally evening work after 5pm and weekends involved.
7 weeks annual holiday (2 fixed weeks for the winter break, 2 fixed weeks for the spring break and 3 flexible summer weeks).
Information Pack: Download our Elections Information Pack to find out how to complete your application.