The Student Awards Agency Scottland (SAAS), an agency of the Scottish Government giving financial support to eligible students doing a course of higher education in the UK, have recently updated their residency criteria to help support students that have been 'long-term' residents of the UK and who are also classed as 'international'.
For students enrolled on courses in the 2016-17 academic year, SAAS will now provide 'relevant support' to any person who meets the following criteria (in addition to other criteria and requirements):
"A person of any nationality who at the start of their course:
- is ordinarily resident in Scotland;
- has been ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom and Islands throughout the three-year period preceding the first day of the first academic year of the course; and
- is either:
- under the age of 18 and has lived in the United Kingdom throughout the seven-year period preceding the first day of the first academic year of the course; or
- aged 18 years old or above and, preceding the first day of the first academic year of the course, has lived in the United Kingdom throughout either-
- half their life; or
- a period of twenty-years"
The deadline for applications to SAAS for this academic year is 31st March 2017.
SAAS will also be reviewing any applications, for 2016-17, already received and refused before this change.
If you need help or advice with funding applications, you can contact ENSA Advice on 0131 229 8791 or by emailing email@example.com.